Scroll down for your FREE Teen Business Start-up Packet
Business success knows no age limit, and the next big idea can come from anyone, including teenagers. Whether your teen has an entrepreneurial spirit or simply wants to earn some extra cash on their terms, there is so much value in starting a business.
When you’re starting a business, you want it to succeed. However, it’s common for new entrepreneurs – at any age – to become fixated on a business idea that isn’t exactly feasible. As a teenager, you’ll want to maximize your chances of business success. Choose an idea that you know you can follow through on, from the initial creation of the product/service, to marketing it, to knowing that there are enough people within your reach who could be benefitted from your business.
No matter what age you are, there are legal requirements that must be adhered to by every business making money in the United States. This should be one of the first things you consider as a teenager starting a new business, as you’ll need to get the necessary permits and paperwork to make your business legal, so you can begin selling to customers. You can check online or with local officials to learn what you need to do to legally launch your business.
As a homeschooler, you have an advantage of a flexible school schedule to allow more time to pursue these interests. You’re also in some of the most transitional years of your life, as you move from high school to college – or straight into the working world. You’ll need to put extra thought into where you want your business to go over the next couple of years.
40 Business Ideas for Teens
1. Car Washing Offer car wash services to busy individuals looking to keep their vehicles clean and shiny.
2. Data Entry Start a data entry business, which provides a flexible work schedule and valuable skill development.
3. Musician Form a band with friends, write music, and perform locally to turn your passion for music into a business.
4. Technology Tutor Help older adults navigate smartphones, tablets, and computers while making extra money.
5. Pet Sitting and Dog Walking Spend time with furry friends while earning money by pet sitting or walking dogs.
6. House Cleaning Offer housecleaning services to neighbors, helping them with chores like dusting, mopping, and vacuuming.
7. Seasonal Chores Tackle seasonal tasks such as decorating, snow removal, leaf raking, or gift wrapping.
8. Greeting Card Making Craft personalized greeting cards to sell to friends and family for special occasions.
9. Music Lessons Provide music lessons for instruments like piano, guitar, or violin to aspiring musicians.
10. Blogger Launch a blog on a topic you’re passionate about, grow an audience, and monetize it through advertising and affiliates.
11. House Sitting Keep an eye on homes while owners are away, taking care of mail, plants, and other tasks.
12. Art Teacher Share your artistic skills by offering art lessons to peers or younger children in the neighborhood.
13. Retail Arbitrage Hunt for high-quality items at low prices and resell them online or at local markets.
14. Farmers Market Vendor Sell homemade goods, crafts, food items, or beauty products at local farmers markets.
15. Web Designer Offer web design services to small businesses at a discounted rate, gaining experience and income.
16. Live-Streaming Gamer Play video games on platforms like Twitch.TV and earn money while doing what you love.
17. Child Care Provide babysitting services during weekends or after-school hours, and consider taking local child care classes to stand out.
18. Selling Handmade Crafts Create and sell your own crafts, whether locally or online, showcasing your artistic talents.
19. Graphic Designer Start a graphic design business, offering your design skills to friends or local businesses.
20. Academic Tutoring Help peers excel in subjects you’re passionate about, including math, science, and test preparation for standardized exams.
21. Podcaster Create a podcast around a niche topic, attract followers, and earn income through advertising.
22. Social Media Influencer Leverage your social media presence to collaborate with brands and earn income through sponsorships.
23. Language Tutor If bilingual, offer language tutoring services to help others learn a new language or improve their language skills.
24. Photographer or Videographer Capture moments through photography or videography for events, portraits, or social media content.
25. Candle Making Create and sell handmade candles, a craft that’s always in demand.
26. App or Game Development Create and publish your own app or online game, potentially earning revenue through app stores.
27. Transcription Transcribe interviews for local newspapers or businesses, improving typing skills and making money.
28. Errand Running Assist neighbors and friends with running errands, a valuable service for those with limited mobility.
29. Personal Organizer Help individuals declutter and organize their living spaces for a more streamlined lifestyle.
30. Freelance Writing Write articles, blog posts, or website content for businesses and online publications.
31. Bicycle Repair Offer bicycle repair services to your community, particularly during the warmer months.
32. Jewelry Making Craft and sell unique jewelry pieces, showcasing your creativity and style.
33. Social Media Management Help small businesses manage their social media accounts, creating posts and engaging with their audience.
34. Mobile Car Detailing Provide on-the-spot car detailing services, bringing the car wash to your clients.
35. Event Planning Assist with planning and organizing events such as birthday parties, weddings, and corporate gatherings.
36. Virtual Assistant Offer administrative support services to businesses remotely, handling tasks like scheduling and email management.
37. Gardening and Landscaping Help homeowners with gardening, landscaping, and yard maintenance projects.
38. Handyperson Services Fix minor household issues like leaky faucets, loose doorknobs, and small repairs.
39. Custom Clothing Printing Design and print custom clothing, such as T-shirts and hoodies, for individuals and groups.
40. Dog Grooming Learn basic dog grooming skills and offer grooming services for local pet owners.